Senior Bylaw Compliance Officer
Senior Bylaw Compliance Officer
Bylaw & Licensing Services
$35.56 - $41.94 per hour
August 16, 2020
Your skills and talents are the essential element in helping our organization meet the challenges and opportunities of our community. This is a place where you can make a difference, serve your community with pride and professionalism, and work with our elected representatives to turn their vision for our community into action. Are you ready to choose your own adventure?
The City of Maple Ridge has an exciting new opportunity for a full-time Senior Bylaw Compliance Officer. If you are ready to work in a fast paced and challenging opportunity with the City this is for you!
The main focus for this position will entail direct supervision with Bylaw Compliance Officers in the course of their duties. The successful candidate will demonstrate a sound knowledge of municipal bylaw enforcement strategies and legal processes and will effectively deal with all staff, stakeholders, and the public in a professional and fair manner under all circumstances.
Your key responsibilities are:
- Provide direction to Bylaw Compliance Officers (BCOs);
- Assign and review case files and recommend course of action;
- Mentor and provide advice to BCOs;
- Review ticket disputes and coordinate Adjudication/Provincial Court Hearings;
- Monitor and manage Compliance Agreements;
- Recommend charges and legal action as required;
- Problem solve and provide solutions to senior staff;
- Establish and maintain contact with a variety of internal and external contacts.
You will have the ability to:
- Assist in the supervision of Bylaw Compliance Officers and provide direction, guidance and training;
- Investigate complaints and enforce bylaws and other regulations with tact, impartiality, firmness, and sound judgement;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of contacts, other departments and outside agencies, to obtain compliance and resolve conflicts;
- Provide excellent customer service to the public and internal & external stakeholders;
- Prepare concise, factual reports, to maintain appropriate records, and to interpret specific bylaws, regulations and applicable rules to the public;
- Write complex letters to property owners and complainants;
- Work outside in all types of weather, walk long distances and climb stairs;
- Skill in the use of software applications – MS Office Suite, Amanda, Tempest and Electronic Ticketing systems;
- Class 5 Driver's License valid in the Province of British Columbia;
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by post-secondary education, and extensive experience in investigative and enforcement work, or an equivalent combination of training and experience is required;
- Preference will be given to candidates who have completed the JIBC Bylaw Enforcement and Investigative Skills course Levels 1 & 2; and
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of five years’ experience in bylaw enforcement.
Key characteristics for this position:
- You are a natural collaborator with exceptional internal and external customer service skills;
- You have the ability to quickly assess and confirm complex situations through effective listening, consultation, data analysis.
- You have a passion for growing developing and empowering staff
The hours of work for this position are Tuesday-Saturday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm as per article 14:01 of the Collective Agreement.
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Information Check as a condition of employment. (Note – not required a part of the application process; however, will be required upon consideration for employment)
All required licenses, certificates and registrations associated with this competition must also be valid and current at the time the postings close and must be attached with your application. Please have these documents ready to upload when you apply.
The City offers a competitive compensation package that includes a strong wellness program and the opportunity for career and professional development.
If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.