Water and Wastewater Division Lead
City of KenoraNestled on the north shore of the Lake of the Woods, Kenora combines vibrant city life with a rich cultural history in a setting of abundant natural beauty. Located directly east of Winnipeg on the Ontario-Manitoba border, Kenora has a year-round population of 15,000+ that swells to over 30,000 during the summer months and is the district hub for over 50,000 people.
The City of Kenora is dedicated to providing a rich quality of life to both its seasonal and permanent residents. Branded as North America's Premier Boating Destination, the Lake of the Woods and its 14,522 islands offer year-round recreational enjoyment including fishing, boating, snowmobiling, skating and skiing.
Water and Wastewater Division Lead
Are you a collaborator who wants to build a purposeful team? Whether it be off-the-cuff dialogue or brief updates to your manager, are you organized and to the point? Do you bring ownership and accountability to your team by creating a supportive and motivated work environment where staff are encouraged to stretch and grow their skillset?
Reporting to the Manager of Operations & Infrastructure, the Water & Wastewater Division Lead is responsible for policy implementation and administering the operation and maintenance activities of the Water & Wastewater Division. Ideally, the successful candidate will bring:
- Post-secondary education in the likely domains of Water and Wastewater, Environmental or Civil Engineering disciplines.
- Class II certifications in Water Distribution, Wastewater Treatment and Wastewater Collection, and Class III in Water Treatment Operations
- Three (3) years progressive experience in a municipal drinking water environment, particularly with a large, municipal, residential drinking water treatment facility.
- Three (3) years’ related supervisory success in a unionized environment.
- Responsible Operator (ORO) as required under Ontario Regulation 128/04, Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Guideline No. 5.1, and Drinking Water Operator/Water Quality Analyst Certification, as amended.
- Thorough understanding of the requirements of the applicable regulations that pertain to the operation and maintenance of water supply, water treatment and water distribution systems, including but not necessarily limited to: the Permit to Take Water, the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Clean Water Act, and all applicable regulations pertinent to the role that may come into effect.
- Thorough working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and all other applicable Federal, Provincial and Municipal legislation, regulations, bylaws and policies.
- Familiarity with various other fields related to water/wastewater treatment that include mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, PLC, and SCADA control systems. Familiarity with water quality requirements such as chemical analysis, chemical dosing, basic laboratory skills and requirements, monitoring equipment operations and maintenance.
If you have established an impressive track record of problem solving and innovation in a highly safety conscious environment; have the ability to develop step-by-step processes from targeting a problem to developing a solution; have honed your ability to balance time constraints and a heavy workload while managing a complement of staff and projects; have time and priority management skills that allow you to identify risk and urgency and to adjust projects and workloads with agility to ensure success, we would like to hear from you.
To discuss the position in confidence, please call or email. Resumes can be directed to: [email protected]
Lynda Schroeder, Senior Consultant