City of Calgary
If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary. City employees operate the facilities, deliver the services and run the programs which make a difference in our community. We support work-life balance and offer competitive wages, pension and benefits. Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
In a modern municipal government, the conversation amongst members of Council, Administration and citizens is essential. Pursuant to the Municipal Government Act, the City Clerk is a designated officer who plays a pivotal role in facilitating, supporting, and clarifying the conversation. Through continuous improvement and innovation, the City Clerk’s Office contributes to a well-run city by delivering open, accessible and fair government services to the public, Council and the corporation.
Additionally, the City Clerk provides strategic oversight, direction and leadership to a business unit comprised of over 70 employees, with an annual operating budget of $13 million. Through your vision and influence, you will continue to evolve the business by creating an engaging, supportive, and collaborative environment while ensuring compliance with City policies, standard practices, and legislation.
Specifically, you will provide governance and legislative guidance to Council and Council Committees, assist Council in procedure and protocol matters, and maintain a corporate record of Council and Committee meeting minutes, Council policies, City bylaws, and contracts. You will be accountable for providing administrative services to support The City’s quasi-judicial boards, serve as the Head of the Local Public Body for the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and conduct the civic census. In your role as Returning Officer, you will provide leadership and strategic direction for civic elections.
- A degree in public administration, business administration, political science or a related field combined with at least 10 years of diversified and progressively senior government and leadership experience.
- Completion of related professional designation(s) (such as a Certified Municipal Clerk; Master Municipal Clerk) and experience in municipal government and elections will be considered assets.
- Previous leadership experience with a proven to ability to inspire, influence and lead change while building strategic relationships.
- Demonstrated strategic and creative thinking while employing sound problem solving and decision-making skills are essential for this role.
- Highly developed political and organizational sensitivity with a demonstrated passion to serve Council and the citizens of Calgary while modeling the Corporation’s core values
- Superior presentation and communication skills and the demonstrated ability to clearly communicate a vision and lead others to define and achieve goals.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Director Band 2 $131,500 – 200,000 per annum
Hours of work:
Standard 35 hour work week
City Clerk’s Office
800 Macleod Trail SE
Days of Work:
This position works a 5 day work week earning 1 day off in a 3 week cycle.
September 25, 2020
Job ID #:
Apply online at www.calgary.ca/careers
We value diversity of expertise, talent and opinion which creates an innovative and collaborative environment. We are committed to a respectful and inclusive workplace and welcome applications from all qualified individuals.