The City Manager plays an integral role in the strategic leadership and management of the overall administration of municipal operations in accordance with the objectives, policies, and plans approved by the City Council. They are responsible for directing, controlling, and coordinating the activities of all City departments. Working with a management team comprised of senior staff, the City Manager ensures that the policies and programs of the City are implemented and advises and informs City Council of the operations and affairs of the City. The City Manager performs all the duties and exercises the powers and functions assigned by all applicable enactments or as assigned by City Council. (The duties and responsibilities of the City Manager are as defined by the Province of Alberta’s Municipal Government Act, section 207 — “Chief officer’s responsibilities” and section 208 — “Performance of major administrative duties” and are defined in the City Manager Bylaw.)
Reframe 2020 is an organization-wide journey with multiple desired outcomes, including:
- Improving performance and service delivery;
- Developing a clear line of sight on decision making;
- Creating more public access;
- Increasing transparency;
- Evolving the organization to serving a mid-sized city; and
- Building strategic alignment across the organization.
Simply put, Reframe 2020 is an opportunity to reflect on what the City does well, what it needs to do better and what it needs to change to continue providing quality services to the citizens of Spruce Grove.
Qualifications & Education Requirements
- Post-secondary education in Public Administration, Management, or a related field, and an additional professional designation would be preferred. Demonstrated commitment to professional development is an asset.
- Successful experience in a City Manager or senior management capacity in a municipal organization is strongly preferred. Other public/private sector organizational experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated experience within a mid-to large complex municipal setting and experience working with elected officials and boards is a requirement. Has a comprehensive understanding of governance.
- A builder of a strong and progressive cultural environment.
- Demonstrated experience in policy development, financial acumen, and resource management is required.
- A positive record of working effectively with elected officials, community volunteers, boards and committees, and public consultation processes.
- Proven experience in strategic planning, organizational development and achieving results while building teams, and positive labour relations.
- A strong understanding of economic development is required.
- Experience in implementing and executing development plans, capital works, and infrastructure improvement programs.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the changes to the Municipal Government Act and their impact on the City.
- Understands regionalization and collaborative regional growth strategies.
The City Manager is required to live in the City of Spruce Grove.
For a detailed opportunity profile, please visit: https://leadersinternational.com/city-of-spruce-grove-city-manager/
Interested parties are requested to submit a one-page cover letter and their personal resume/CV to Anurag Shourie, Sonny Kapoor or Cecilia Oteiza Ayres at [email protected]. For further information, please call Leaders International at (780) 420-9900.