Director of Operations
Director of Operations
(Full-time Exempt position)
Parksville is an active community of urban professionals, families with young children and retirees who have chosen to live in this community for a high quality of life and the region's stunning natural environment. Located on Vancouver Island’s east coast, 12,500 residents call Parksville home. We are committed to be the city of choice for current residents and future generations, maintaining a clean, safe, friendly, economically viable and environmentally conscious community.
The City of Parksville has an opening for a Director of Operations. The successful candidate will be an important member of our senior leadership team and will facilitate the achievement of the City’s strategic and operational objectives. This position reports to the Chief Administrative Officer and has direct responsibility for the Manager of Parks & Facilities, the Chief Water Operator and the Roads & Drainage Supervisor.
The Director will lead the operations and maintenance of municipal services including: the preventative maintenance of public infrastructure; control and management of issues related to drinking water, sanitary sewer, and storm drainage; road and sidewalk construction and maintenance; management of municipal facilities, parks, trails and open spaces; overseeing snow removal and management of storm events; maintenance of the City’s vehicle fleet and equipment.
This position will appeal to a driven professional who is renowned as an excellent communicator, a strong natural leader, an agile, adaptive manager and someone who thrives on developing creative solutions to complex problems. This role will provide fulfilment to a professional who understands the complexities of local government and relishes working in a collaborative, fast paced, team environment. Responsibilities include both contributing to broad organizational strategy at the senior level and providing oversight and assistance with the day-to-day provision of municipal services. This individual will lead City’s Operations Department in maintaining and enhancing the City’s infrastructure in a safe, effective, efficient and sustainable manner.
The ideal candidate will possess a
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Civil Engineering, Public Administration or a related field (Master’s level preferred); a Certified Applied Science Technologist Diploma or Professional Civil Engineering Diploma from a recognized educational institution combined with 15 years of formal municipal management may be considered as an equivalent certification.
- Registration as an Applied Science Technologist with the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia, in good standing with the EGBC.
- Board of Examiners Certificate in Local Government Administration is an asset.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification is an asset.
- Possession of a valid B.C. Drivers Licence and clean driving record.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible municipal experience, including personnel management in a unionized setting, and high-level experience in managing the operations functions of a local government.
The City offers a competitive salary range ($117,000 - $135,000, depending on relevant experience and credentials) and a comprehensive benefits package including an earned day off program upon completion of probation. To view a complete job description, visit www.parksville.ca. Applicants may apply in confidence by providing a cover letter and resume by 4 PM Friday, October 2, 2020 via email: [email protected].
The City of Parksville thanks all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.